Why We Study in Australia

Degrees obtained from Australian universities are recognized all over the world, and there is the added boost that the Australian higher education system is federally regulated. Which means the Australian government regulates all universities in the country each year to make sure they are maintaining their high education standards.

Cost of Living

The cost of living and tuition costs in Australia are much lower that compared to the USA or the UK. These lower costs make it more affordable for students to attend a school in Australia and still have a high standard of living.

Diversity & Technology

Institutions in Australia offer a wide variety of course and degrees, making it easy to find a fit that is right for you. Not many people know this, but Australia is in the top 10 spenders in the world for research and development and 2% of all scientific papers in the world come from Australia, putting Australia at the forefront of new technology and innovations. From only a meager population of 19 million, there have been 7 Nobel Prize winner.


Work The Australian Immigration system allows students visiting the country on a student visa the chance to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and during vacations students can work full time. This opportunity makes it much more affordable for students who can attend school and still fund their education with some work.

Growing Destination

Australia is rapidly growing as one of the most popular destinations for international student to attend. Currently Australia has the third largest international student enrollment behind the USA and the UK.

Understanding the education system.

School Education

School studies cover a range of academic disciplines and vocational courses which prepare you for university entry, for further training programs or to enter the workforce. The study format is a mix of directed classroom studies, extensive written assessments, formal examinations and may include common assessment tasks. Depending on course alternatives, you might also apply skills, demonstrateunderstandings, and undertake performance, project, group and field-work activities.The Senior Secondary Certificate of Education is known by different titles according to the State and Territory issuing authority.

Vocational Education and Training Qualifications

The qualifications offered at vocational education and training institutions are Certificates I-IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma. They meet national industry standards and will prepare you for employment in a host of occupations or for further studies.

University Qualifications

Associate Degree:An Associate Degree is a two year qualification following year 12 or equivalent, or Certificate III or IV. It is a shorter higher education qualification offering an exit point at the sub-degree level, or a fully articulated pathway into the Bachelor Degree for further in-depth study and professional preparation, or articulation into an Advanced Diploma for specialist industry competencies.
Bachelor Degree: The Bachelor degree is the fundamental university qualification and is the basic qualification for entry to the professions. Some professions may require additional vocational qualifications as a condition of entry. Graduate Certificates:6 months of Graduate Certificate typically involves broadening individual skills already gained in an undergraduate program, or developing vocational knowledge and skills in a new professional area.
Graduate Diplomas:The Graduate Diploma either broadens individual skills obtained in an undergraduate program or develops vocational knowledge and skills in a new professional area. This qualification can also be described as further specialisation within a systematic and coherent body of knowledge and is usually of 12 months duration.
Masters Degree: The Masters Degree involves enhancing specific professional or vocational skills. The Masters Degree is typically gained by research or coursework or a combination. Study involves acquiring in-depth understanding of a specific area of knowledge usually by independent research. A Masters Degree takes either one year after a Bachelor Degree with honours or two years after a Bachelor Degree.
Doctoral Degree:The Doctoral Degree is the highest award offered by Australian universities and takes typically 3 years to complete. Although it is a research degree, some programs may have a course work component. There are three components to a Doctoral Degree:
1.A searching review of the literature, experimentation or other systemic approach to a body of knowledge.
2.An original research project resulting in a significant contribution to knowledge and understanding and/or the application of knowledge within a discipline or field of study.
3.A substantial and well-ordered thesis, demonstrating the relationship of the research to the broader framework of the discipline or field of study.

Academic Calendar

University courses run from early March to late November. The year is divided into two semesters. However, some institutions offer a trimester system and/or run summer schools from December to February. The Universities Australia website provides a list of university semester dates. Undergraduate and postgraduate by coursework students enroll for their courses at the beginning of the year. Australian universities do allow enrollment in mid-year (around July) for certain courses. Commencement dates can vary, depending on the course. Students studying towards a Doctoral Degree or other postgraduate research awards may be able to negotiate an alternative starting date with their study supervisor. Foundation studies have student intakes at several times during the year.

Application Procedure

Applying to Undergraduate Courses

Undergraduate Courses: To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australia Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.

Applying to Postgraduate Courses

Graduate Courses: An admission to a master degree course requires a bachelor's degree. A Masters Degree takes either one year after a Bachelor Degree with honours or two years after a Bachelor Degree.

Procuring Application Form

Send inquiries at least 12 months before the proposed date of admission.
There are three ways to get application forms:
-Requesting Application Forms via email : You can request application forms from the universities website. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.
-Downloading from the university website : Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on the net. These can be used for applying just as regular forms.
-Getting applications from University Representatives: You can also get the application forms from many authorized representatives of Australian Universities in your country.

Main exams

IELTSIt measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills " listening, reading, writing and speaking " for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication. You must apply to a test centre to take an IELTS test prior to the test date. Applications are made on an IELTS Application Form which you can send or take into a test centre, along with the test fee, two passport sized photographs, and a photocopy of your passport/national identity card. You will also need to include your passport number, or in some circumstances a national identity card number, on the application form check with your test centre. For More info click: www.ielts.org/

Documents required

Foundation studies
– Standard X Marksheet
– Standard XII Marksheet
– Standard XI Marksheet: Only for those students who are applying for fast track foundation program immediately after completion of Std. XI exam / those who have just completed the standard XII public exam and do not have the marks which will be available only in June.

Undergraduate course, or vocational training (diploma or certificate)

Certified copies of all your academic transcripts and/or work experience endorsed by an appropriate person, for example, school results certified by the school principal. If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided. We can help you with free translations.
– Evidence that you meet the English language requirements (IELTS test scores etc).
– If you are applying for credit for previous studies, you must complete the credit transfer section on the undergraduate application form. You`ll need documents to support your application for credit, including certified copies of all official transcripts or results from previous studies, plus copies of the subject syllabuses.

Postgraduate degrees by coursework

Certified copies of all your academic transcripts and/or work experience endorsed by an appropriate person, for example, academic results endorsed by your former academic institution. If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided.
– Evidence that you meet the English language requirements (IELTS test scores etc). Postgraduate degrees by research Certified copies of all your academic transcripts and/or work experience endorsed by an appropriate person, for example, academic results endorsed by your former academic institution. If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided.
– Evidence that you meet the English language requirements (IELTS test scores etc).
– Curriculum vitae/resume detailing your work and personal history.
– An outline of your proposed research.
– Evidence of any government support or scholarship or your own financial sitution.

Fee & Expenses

As an international student, you must pay your tuition fees up-front. Aside from tuition fees, some institutions may also charge for other student costs, such as library, laboratory or sports facility costs. Excursions, books and stationery are other costs to consider, and your course may also require specific essential materials, such as lab coats or photographic supplies.
Your institution will provide you with information on how and when to pay your tuition fees. University Education:
-Foundation Studies:$9,000 to 14,000 a year such as university entrance, preparatory and bridging courses.
-Undergraduate Bachelor Degree :$10,000 to 13,500 a year such as courses in arts, business, economics and law.
-Laboratory-based Bachelor Degree :$11,000 to 16,500 a year such as science and engineering courses
-Postgraduate Graduate Certificates Graduate Diplomas :$9,000 to 16,000 a year Masters Doctoral Degree :$11,000 to 18,500 a year.
-Vocational education and training Certificates I – IV Diploma Advanced Diploma :$5,500 to 18,000 a year.
-School Secondary school : $6,000 to 13,000 a year Primary and junior secondary schools :$5,000 to 11,000 a year
-English language training varies significantly depending on the course duration or institution :$3,500 to 13,500 For More info click:http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/en/StudyCosts/TuitionFees

Living Expenses

An average international student in Australia can expect to pay approximately about a week on:
-Homestay with meals: $110—270/week
-Hostels and guest houses:$80—135/week
-Shared accommodation:$70—250/week
-Rental accommodation:$100—400/week
-Campus accommodation:$80—250/week
-Food: $75/week including Groceries and occasional eating out.
-Clothing: $10/week Many students bring most clothes from home and purchase only a few things.
-Entertainment:$70/week ;includes a film a dinner or night out etc.
-Transport: $15/week Most students buy a weekly transport pass.
-Telephone: $20/week will vary greatly depending on each students' use of mobile phones, international calls etc.
-Gas/Electricity: $10/week ; the cost for utilities will decrease per person on shared accommodation.
-Books:$50 -$100 per book ;will depend on the type of course.
You could spend more or less depending on where you live, your lifestyle and your course. For More info click:http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/Sia/en/StudyCosts/Accommodation.htm

Financial Assistance

Scholarship Australian Scholarships brings together and expands existing scholarship programs in the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions that are managed by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). For More info click: www.australianscholarships.gov.au Scholarship Australian Development Scholarships (ADS) aim to contribute to the long-term development needs of Australia's partner countries to promote good governance, economic growth and human development. ADS provides people with the necessary skills and knowledge to drive change and influence the development outcomes of their own country, through obtaining tertiary qualifications at participating Australian institutions. For More info click: www.ausaid.gov.au/scholar Scholarship Endeavour Awards The Endeavour Awards is the Australian Government`s internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship program providing opportunities for citizens of the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. Awards are also available for Australians to do the same abroad. A smaller number of Awards are available for participants from Europe and the Americas. The Endeavour Awards provide individuals with a unique opportunity to further their academic or professional careers. For More info click: www.endeavour.deewr.gov.au Student Employment If you have permission to work, you can work up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session. International students often find work in retail, hospitality and administration. You could expect to earn A$6-15 an hour, depending on the kind of work you do and your age. You may be paid more for working on Sundays or public holidays. Tutoring younger students in the field you are studying, or in your native language is also a good way to earn money. Student tutors can earn about A$40 an hour.

Visa Information

Student Visa Options A student visa will only be granted if you satisfy the visa requirements and visa conditions for attendance and academic performance which come into effect after you have entered Australia.It is important to comply with your visa conditions to avoid visa cancellation. You should apply under the visa option for your principal course of study.
-English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS):Applies to stand-alone English language courses that lead to a certificate I, II, III or IV, or that result in no formal Australian award.
-Primary or secondary school course:Applies to primary, junior secondary or senior secondary school courses, and approved secondary school exchange programs.
-Vocational education and training:Applies to Certificates I, II, III or IV (except ELICOS), diploma, advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma courses.
-Higher education:Applies to a Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or Masters by coursework.
-Postgraduate research:Applies to Masters by research or a doctoral degree.
-Non-award:Applies to non-award foundation studies, or other full-time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award.
-AusAID and Defence:Applies to students sponsored by AusAID or the Australian Department of Defence undertaking full-time courses of any type.
-Student Guardians:Parents or relatives can apply for a visa to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia.