Why We Study in Canada

Canadians place great importance on learning, and have developed a first-rate education system with high standards. The country spends more on education (as a percentage of GDP) compared to the OECD average, and is the second highest among G-8 countries.

A Safe Place To Study

Canada has the lowest crime and violence rates in the region making it a safe place for international students to study and live. Unlike its US neighbours to the south, firearms are strictly controlled and generally are not permitted.

Best Places in the World to Live

Canada has ranked as one of the top ten places to live in the world since 1994 according to the United Nations (UN) and the Economist Intelligence Unit. In the UN survey Canada earned particularly high marks for its access to education, high life expectancy (due to universal health care system); and low crime and violence rates. In addition, Canada's largest cities — Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal — have been recognized as world class cities in which to live and work, for their cleanliness and safety and for their cultural activities and attractive lifestyles.

Low cost of Studying

Canada offers the lowest tuition rates for foreign students compared to the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and the US. Rates at U.S. public universities were almost 1/3 higher than fees for Bachelor`s degrees in Canada, while U.S. private university fees were more than double.
The average cost for a foreign student for one school year (8 months) in an undergraduate program is C$11,903. High Tech Destination Canada provides a stimulating environment to do business and to learn due to the contributions of many talented scientists, researchers and entrepreneurs. The country is an international leader in computer and information technologies and has a reputation for excellence in such sectors as telecommunications, transportation and engineering; and specifically, aerospace, urban transport, microelectronics, medical devices, advanced software, hydroelectric and nuclear power, lasers and opto-electronics, biotechnology, food and beverage processing, geomatics; and ocean and environmental industries.

Understanding the education system.

School Education

Private schools exist in every province and provide an attractive alternative for families seeking an overseas education for their children. All private schools must be registered with the Ministry of Education in their province or territory, and must meet the curriculum and other standards set by their respective ministries. Families can choose schools that are boys-only, girls-only or co-educational. Some private schools offer full boarding programs, others are day schools, and many offer both. Many private schools adhere to a particular religious faith, emphasize particular moral teachings and apply rigorous academic standards.

Public Schools

Many Canadian public schools are now accepting international students into their programs. Publicly-funded schools are managed at the local level by elected school boards. Almost all public schools are co-educational and offer day programs only. Many school boards offer secular or non-religious education while others have religious affiliations. However, this varies from province to province. Policies on accepting international students and the fees charged vary from district to district.

Career Colleges

Career College are privately owned institutions that offer diploma and certificate training programs with the main objective of preparing students for the job market after a short period of instruction.

Colleges and Technical Institutions

Colleges and Technical Institutions are popular education choices in Canada. They offer professional programs of 1 to 3 years (often including a work term) that are highly applicable in the job market.

University Colleges

University Colleges combine Canadian university and college traditions, with a strong base of applied and academic programs offered in campus environments.A university college offers university degrees as well as college diploma and certificate programs. Students can expect to find a wide range of program choices at university colleges. As a component of the Canadian university system, university colleges offer students a choice of either academically-oriented university degree programs or the more practically-oriented college diplomas and certificates. As part of the Canadian college system, university colleges are distinguished by their strong student support services, small classes and strong campus environments. They also may offer combined degree/diploma programs and university transfer programs


Universities are internationally known for the quality of teaching and research. Degrees from Canadian universities are considered to be equivalent to those from American and other Commonwealth universities. Canadian universities are largely publicly funded; as a result they are of a consistently high quality, regardless of location or area of study. As well, they all retain a high degree of academic autonomy.
They offer a broad range of courses and a full range of degrees from undergraduate to doctorates, and can also offer certificates and professional degrees. Fees for universities differ depending on the province, institution and program of study.

Academic Calendar

The university year in Canada usually runs from September to May. Some universities are on a semester system, the fall semester (Sept-Dec), and the winter semester (Jan-May), or trimester system, with all courses available even in the summer beginning May.

Application Procedure

Requesting for the Application form

There are some differences in the application process if you are applying to colleges and universities in different province of Canada.
Send enquiries at least 15 to 18 months before the proposed date of admission. There are three ways to get application forms.
-Requesting Application Forms from University : You can request application forms from the universities website directly by filling out a form online to request for the application material.
-Downloading from the university website : Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on the net. These can be used for applying just as regular forms.
-Requesting Applications from Canadian Education Centre(CEC) at different locations : You can get application forms for all the universities from Canadian Education Centre in your city. You can either visit them personally or email them for the forms.Follow the link to find out about CEC locations. For More info click:http://www.studycanada.ca/india/index.htm

Main exams


It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills "listening, reading, writing and speaking" for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication. You must apply to a test centre to take TOEFL test prior to the test date. For More info click: http://www.ets.org


The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) has been developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS) to evaluate the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning , critical thinking, and analytical writing skills that are not related to any specific field of study. The scores of this standardized test helps any accredited graduate, business or professional school, or any department or division within a school, to assess the advanced study potential of their prospective students and to supplement undergraduate records and other qualifications for graduate study. The Institution may require or recommend that its applicants take the General Test, a Subject Test, or both. Non-accredited institutions, approved by the GRE Board, can also receive the scores of the applicants. For More info click: http://www.ets.org/gre


Graduate Management Admissions Test or GMAT is a Standardizes test for MBA aspirants. This test is designed to evaluate the potential of students by assessing their mathematical, verbal and analytical writing skills. GMAT test, initially prepared for use by the Institutes/Universities of U.S. offering programs in management and business, is now used as a criterion for allotting admission to students globally by more than 1700 universities/institutes. The GMAT is designed and administered by Pearson Vue at the behest of Graduate Management Admission Council or GMAC. It is Pearson Vue which reports the test score to the universities and institutes For More info click: www.gmac.com/GMAT


The Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is a half-day standardized test required for admission to LSAC-member law schools, most Canadian law schools, and many non"ABA"approved law schools. It provides a standard measure of acquired reading and verbal reasoning skills that law schools can use as one of several factors in assessing applicants. The test is administered four times a year at hundreds of locations around the world. The LSAT is designed to measure skills that are considered essential for success in law school: the reading and comprehension of complex texts with accuracy and insight; the organization and management of information and the ability to draw reasonable inferences from it; the ability to think critically; and the analysis and evaluation of the reasoning and arguments of others. For More info click: http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/about-the-lsat.asp

Documents required For Undergraduate Study

Students who are applying for a Bachelor program or another undergraduate course would be required to submit a secondary school report and transcripts of the qualifying exams. The form should be filled out by a school authority like the principal or a headmaster. This form should indicate your whole school experience in relation to the other students in your class to help admission committees judge your performance in your own educational system. The school report should talk about your accomplishments during the school tenure. Due to variation in the styles of scoring ask your school to attach a guide to the grading standards used in your educational system and your school.Also the ranking system used in your school should be clearly highlighted. Transcripts should be translated by the issuing authority into English for those issued in a language other than English otherwise it may not be accepted by the University.
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose is the single most important part of the application form, that will introduce the applicant to the admissions committee. It will also give a brief of the applicant`s current career path and professional interests and goals for the future. For More info click: www.statementofpurpose.com/
Letter of Recommendation One of the most important elements of your college application is the Letter of recommendation. It is a signed statement from preferably a teacher who knows you well and has taught you in a subject that is related to the course you are applying to. The letter should list your positive and negative qualities, useful skills (e.g., computer, statistical, or interpersonal skills), related experiences (extracurricular, work experience, clubs, volunteer work), information about the student that can portray a true picture of the candidate to the reader. A good letter might also provide information about the student`s development and achievements over time. Therefore you need to choose a teacher who knows you well to write your letter.
Graduate Study Transcripts reflecting your past academic record such as your of undergraduate studies and school record are the most important deciding factors in securing admission to a college abroad.
Most schools require you to have a good academic record especially for programs and courses offering a master`s or doctoral degree. Each university has its own minimum requirement for its programs, which are flexible depending on the candidate`s profile and the course applied for. Each Universities in Canada have their own marking and evaluation systems.Do not convert your marks one one education system to the Canadian Grade Point Average system since the conversion may not be accurate. You must attach guide from your college to indicate the scoring system in your class and/or university. The letter may also indicate your place as compared to the class and the university average and the number of students in the class and the number of colleges and students in the university. Students applying for Graduate courses (MBA, MS etc) are required to submit an official transcript (mark-sheets) from each college or university that they have attended after secondary school with complete details of the subjects/credits involved (for each year) and other details like correspondence courses, diplomas etc. Most universities ask for the transcript (mark-sheets) to be sealed in an envelope and signed and attested across the seal by the registrar. This procedure is to be done for each and every college that you have attended. Some universities may ask for more than one copy of the transcript. If the transcripts are in a language other than English, then they must be translated into English only by the issuing authority or university otherwise it may not be accepted.

Fee & Expenses

Student Employment

You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit, if you are a full-time student at a publicly-funded post-secondary institution or a private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees. You require a work permit if the intended employment is an essential and integral part of your course of study (this does not apply to accounting students, medical interns or medical residents); or if the intended employment is related to an approved research or training program. Off-campus work is an option for students studying at certain publicly-funded post-secondary institutions in Quebec, Manitoba and New Brunswick. Negotiations are underway to make off-campus work more widely available in other provinces. International students who graduate from a publicly-funded post-secondary institution in the metropolitan regions of Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, and who find employment in their field of study, may apply for a work permit for up to one year of post-graduation employment in Canada. Students who graduate from a publicly-funded post-secondary institution outside of these areas, and who find employment in their field of study outside of these areas, will be eligible to work for two years instead of one. For More info click: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-opps.html


The average cost for a foreign student for one school year (8 months) in an undergraduate program is C$8,000 – C$17,000. For Graduate studies the annual cost ranges between C$1900 – C$33,000 for General Arts and Sciences Programs.The Cost differ with the programs you opt for along with the different province.
For More info click:http://www.studycanada.ca/english/cost_of_studying_in_canada.htm

Living Expenses

Homestay accommodation with Meals: $400 – $800 CDN per month.
Residence/dormitory Rooms: $3,000 – $7,500 CDN per school year
Shared accommodations: $250 – $700 CDN monthly.
Bus Fare One Way (local) $2.00 – $3.00
Average Restaurant Meal $10.00 – $25.00 per person
Movie $8.50 – $12.00
Average cost of a suite or apartment: $400 – $1,500 CDN monthly.

Financial Assistance

There are various organisations within Canada that administer scholarship programs but they are usually for graduate students and professors who are studying or researching a specific subject; Canadian studies is a typical area for which scholarships are awarded. For More info click: http://www.iccs-ciec.ca/pages/4_ICCSprogs/a_gradstu.html

Visa Information

A study permit
For any study program of up to six months no study permit is required For programs longer than six months require a study permit. For Quebec-bound students, a CAQ (Quebec Application Certificate) is required. If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but think you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one. The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study. Temporary Resident Visa A temporary resident visa may be required depending on your country of origin. Please see the list of countries that require a temporary resident visa as provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. More information on the process of applying for a study permit is available on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site.