Why Study In New Zealand

The New Zealand education system is highly regarded, internationally recognized and has high academic standards.New Zealand's education system offers valuable opportunities for international students and interns looking for an academic and personal challenge.

Academic Options

Studying in New Zealand is a great way to see the country while you gain new knowledge and skills. Courses are available for academic, professional and vocational studies at universities, polytechnics, teachers colleges, secondary schools and private training establishments.For a totally different outlook to education, there are several adventure schools around the country. Usually sited in beautiful locations, these schools focus on outdoor sports and activities as well as personal development.From scuba diving and rock climbing to leadership and survival skills, the subject choices are inspiring.

Growing Destination

Campuses are highly international, with students from all corners of the globe studying together. Students come from Europe, South East Asia, the UK, North Asia, Japan, South America, India, and Australia, amongst many others.

Technically Advanced

New Zealand offers an education to help students take a leading place in the exciting global environment. There are many state of the art facilities that the students are exposed to, and with many institutions spearheading several new technological developments, students have access to advanced technology during their academic tenure.

Understanding the education system

Primary School Education

Schooling is available to children from age 5 and is compulsory from ages 6 to 16. Primary education starts at Year 1 and continues until Year 8, with Years 7 and 8 mostly offered at either a primary or a separate intermediate school.Most schools are English language medium, but some schools teach in the Maori medium. Kura Kaupapa Maori are schools in which the principal language of instruction is Maori and education is based on Maori culture and values. Most Kura Kaupapa Maori cater for students from Years 1 to 8, and a few (Wharekura) cater for students up to Year 13.

Secondary School Education

Secondary education covers Years 9 to 13, (during which students are generally aged 13 to 17). Most secondary students in New Zealand attend Government-funded schools, which are known variously as secondary schools, high schools, colleges or area schools. The National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) is the national senior secondary school qualification. Students are able to achieve the NCEA at three levels via a wide range of courses and subjects, both within and beyond the traditional school. For most students, the three levels of the NCEA correspond to the final three years of secondary schooling (Years 11-13). To gain an NCEA the student must achieve 80 credits on the National Qualifications Framework, 60 at the level of the certificate and 20 others. For More info click: www.ncea.govt.nz.

Tertiary Education

The term `tertiary education' in New Zealand is used to describe all aspects of post-school education and training. There are currently 36 public tertiary education institutions, including eight universities, twenty-one institutes of technology and polytechnics, four colleges of education, three wananga (Maori tertiary education institutions). There are also 46 industry training organisations, and approximately 895 private training establishments, which include private English language schools, registered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. Tertiary education providers meet the needs of learners of all ages, ethnicities, abilities and educational backgrounds. They offer courses at widely different levels, from transition programmes to postgraduate study and research. There are no fixed divisions between the types of courses offered by each classification of provider. The key focus is on their ability to offer programmes to the required quality standards, rather than on their organisational type

Technical and Vocational Education

Technical and Vocational Education is mainly offered at institutes of technology, polytechnics, private training establishments and in the workplace. However, some programmes are also available in secondary schools, wananga, government training establishments, one college of education and several universities..

Higher, or Degree-level Education

Higher, or Degree-level Education is mainly offered at universities, but some degree programmes are also available at institutes of technology, polytechnics, wananga and colleges of education, and at some private training establishments

Applying to Postgraduate Courses

Graduate Courses: An admission to a master degree course requires a bachelor's degree. A Masters Degree takes either one year after a Bachelor Degree with honours or two years after a Bachelor Degree.

Academic Calendar

The New Zealand primary and secondary school year usually runs from the end of January to mid-December, and is divided into four terms. The academic year for most tertiary institutions starts in February and finishes in November and is often divided into two semesters. Some institutions now offer a `summer trimester' which runs from December or January through to February.

Application Procedure

Requesting for the Application form

You must start the application procedure at least 8 to 12 months before the proposed date of admission. There are two ways to get application forms.
-Requesting Application Form from University websites: Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.
-Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on their websites. They can be used for applying.

Assessment for International Qualifications

When applying to Colleges and Universities in New Zealand, ensure that the course and the Institution you are applying to is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority(NZQA).
NZQA offer 3 types of assessment for international qualifications:
1. Pre-assessment Result (PAR)
2. International Qualification Result (IQA)
3. Overseas Study Assessment (OSA)
To start an application for an IQA, click on the link, Apply for an Internal Qualification Assessment (IQA) application. However if you choose to return your hard copy application in the post,allow extra time for NZQA.You can enter up to 5 qualifications. Start by searching for qualifications currently listed in the NZQA database to pick from.
Before applying for an assessment of your qualifications, check that your qualifications and/or the awarding body or institution is either accredited by the national accrediting body in the country of origin, or is internationally recognised under a multilateral-governmental accord or convention (such as is the case with many maritime qualifications for instance).If NZQA is unable to recognise your qualification(s) because of a lack of accreditation by a national accreditation body or recognition under a multilateral-governmental accord or convention, NZQA will issue you an International Qualification Assessment report in which your qualification(s)will be disclaimed, and your application fee will not be refunded. For More info click: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/for-international/qual-eval/docs/nzq1.pdf

Main exams


It measures ability to communicate in English across all four language skills " listening, reading, writing and speaking " for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication.
For More info click: www.ielts.org
National Certificate of Educational Achievement The common entrance standard in New Zealand (also known as University Entrance or UE), students who have met them are eligible to enrol at a university.
To meet the common entrance standard a student must achieve all of the following:
-A minimum of 42 credits at level 3 or higher on the National Qualifications Framework, including a minimum of 14 credits at level 3 or higher in each of two subjects from an approved list of subjects, with a further 14 credits at level 3 or higher taken from no more than two additional domains on the National Qualifications Framework or approved subjects.
-A minimum of 14 credits at level 1 or higher in Mathematics or Pangarau on the National Qualifications Framework.
-A minimum of 8 credits at level 2 or higher in English or Te Reo Maori; 4 credits must be in Reading and 4 credits must be in Writing. The literacy credits will be selected from a schedule of approved achievement standards and unit standards.
It is possible to meet the common entrance standard without achieving NCEA Level 3. It is also possible to achieve NCEA Level 3 without meeting the common entrance standard.
NCEA Level 3 is generally completed in Year 13. It requires 60 credits at level 3 or above plus 20 credits at level 2 or above. To achieve NCEA Level 3 and meet the common entrance standard a student must gain the required credits and fulfill all the requirements listed above.

University of Cambridge International Examinations

Cambridge International Examination (CIE) candidates presenting A or AS levels must gain a minimum of 120 points on the UCAS Tariff and a minimum grade of D in each of at least 2 subjects equivalent to subjects in the approved list, plus a minimum grade of D in one further subject either from the approved list or related to a domain on the National Qualifications Framework. A candidate with 3 subjects as described who has not reached the 120-point minimum may include points from any one additional subject available for CIE.
A CIE candidate with an E grade or better in AS English and a D grade or better in IGCSE mathematics will be deemed to have satisfied the literacy and numeracy requirements of the university entrance standard. (Any mathematics taken at AS level will also satisfy the numeracy requirement. IGCSE mathematics is the minimum acceptable and corresponds approximately to NCEA level 1.)

Documents required

Transcripts You need to Provide the transcripts of the qualifying examination from the issuing authority like the Principal or the Head Master of the School/ College attended.
Do also mention the education system being followed in the school/ college last attended. If incase the number of years fall short of the required qualification you need to cover that year of education through a foundation course.Evidence of Funds to Support your Stay while in New Zealand
Evidence may include:
-Enough money held in New Zealand by you, or on your behalf,
-An undertaking by another person to cover your accommodation and living costs (New Zealand Immigration will want to see this before you leave for New Zealand).
-An undertaking by a New Zealand sponsor to cover your accommodation and living costs, or
-Financial assistance available to you under aid programmes operated by a government agency.
Police Certificate
You must provide police certificates if you are 17 years of age or over and you are intending to stay in New Zealand for 24 months or longer.

Certificates are required from:

-Your country of citizenship (unless you can prove you never lived there).
-Any country you have lived in for 5 or more years since turning 17 years of age.
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/application/

Health Requirement

If you are studying in New Zealand for between six months and one year you may also need to provide a completed Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate to show you have been screened for tuberculosis (TB). If you are studying in New Zealand for more than one year then you will need to complete a medical examination and a medical and X-ray certificate.
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/application/

Work Experience Information

Original work experience information is required from all applicants. NZQA needs this information because:
-Work experience is a component of, or prerequisite for, some New Zealand qualifications;
-Work experience is relevant to professional registration is some professions; and
-NZQA needs to see whether your qualifications were obtained through part-time or full-time study
Please list all work experiences that relate to your qualifications. NZQA need to see original supporting documents showing your name, your employer`s name and address, the position held, a description of your duties and the dates you held the position.
References usually contain this information. If there is not enough space on the application to include your work experience, you should include a copy of your curriculum vitae (CV, resume or bio data).
A clear description of your work duties and responsibilities is particularly important if you have vocational or trade qualifications.
For More info click: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/for-international/docs/guide-qar.pdf

Fee & Expenses

Living Expenses
-Rental Accommodation :$200-$600 a Week depending on where you rent an apartment. The cost will go down if shared with 3-6 people.
-Textbooks and stationery $500 a year depending on your course.
-Students' association membership $30
-Photocopy cards $100
-Bus fares $30 to $60 a week
– Fees
The Government funds state tertiary institutions and meet most of the costs of providing tuition, currently, students contribute about 25% of the cost of a course. Costs vary depending on the type and level of courses taken. Annual fee for–
Graduate diplomas in -Arts (incl. science and performance based courses) :NZ $18,000-24,000
Business & Economics :NZ $20,000-23,500
Engineering :NZ $25,000-30,000
Medical and Health Science :NZ $26,000-32,000
Science :NZ $20,000-24,000
Postgraduate degree programmes
Arts :NZ $20,000-23,000
Arts (science and performance-based courses) :NZ $25,000-28,000
Business & Economics :NZ $24,000-26,000
Engineering :NZ $25,000-30,000
Law :NZ $20,000-25,000
Medical and Health Science :NZ $28,000-33,000

Financial Assistance


Scholarships and fellowships provide significant recognition and monetary reward for students who continue to strive for academic success.
The Scholarships Committee of the NZVCC administers a wide range of nationally available undergraduate and postgraduate awards. Study opportunities provided by these scholarships are critical when financial support for individual students is increasingly difficult to obtain.
The scholarships offered are funded from contributions of charitable trusts, individuals, governments and industry.
For More info click: http://www.nzvcc.ac.nz/aboutus/sc/scholarships

Student Loan

Student loans are available to meet these costs and all students.
Even those receiving student allowances can apply for a government funded student loan. While students are studying full-time, the loans are interest free and when students have completed their studies, repayments are made through the Inland Revenue Department. These are income-related. Repayment rates are currently 10% of everything earned over NZ $15,496 in any one year, or NZ $298 per week before tax.
Currently students can borrow the following under the loan scheme:
-The full cost of course fees
-Up to NZ $1,000 a year for course related expenses
-Up to NZ $150 a week for living expenses for the length of the course, less any student allowances
(This provision applies only to full-time students).
For More info click: http://www.nz-immigration.co.nz/education/tertiary.html

Student Employment

Depending on the length of your course, you may be able to work during the summer holidays and for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. You can work part time while studying full time, under certain circumstances:
-to meet course requirements for practical work experience, or
-during the Christmas and New Year holiday period if you are in a full-time course of study lasting 12 months or longer, and/or
-for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if you are in full-time study:
-at a private training establishment or tertiary institution and taking at least two academic years to complete, or
-culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
-at a secondary school full year course of study in years 12 or 13, provided you have written permission from your school and written consent from your parent, or
-in a full-time study course lasting at least six months, at a private training establishment or tertiary institution. Your visa or immigration officer has to be satisfied that the main purpose of your course of study is to develop English language skills, and, you have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score of 5.0 or above (General or Academic Module), or
-at a tertiary level of at least one academic year duration as part of an approved tertiary student exchange scheme
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/8D76710A-1F4A-452F-8C5D-8663738F560A/0/1013.pdf

Visa Information

Visa Requirement

To receive a New Zealand Student Visa or Student Permit so you can study in New Zealand you must first meet New Zealand Immigration requirements for international students.
The course or courses you intend to undertake must also meet New Zealand Immigration requirements.
To get a Student Visa or Permit, you need to have an "Offer of Place" from a New Zealand education provider. The offer must include the following:
-The name of the course and the minimum time required for completing the course, and
-Proof that the course and course provider meet New Zealand's requirements for international students.
-The amount of the fee for the complete course , or if the course is longer than one year, the annual fee.
-Whether you have to pay course fees and whether the course fees are New Zealand dollars or foreign fees.
-Whether you are studying full-time (20 hours a week or more) or part-time (less than 20 hours a week or enrolment in fewer than three papers, or equivalent, per semester). -The course you are wanting a New Zealand Visa or Permit for must be approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority(NZQA).
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz

Visa for Short Courses

If you want to study a single course, that is less that 3 months long, you do not need a student visa. However you will need to apply for a visitor visa. If you want to study two or more short courses of study or training (whether at the same time, or one after the other), you need a student visa or permit.
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/canistudyinnewzealand/whatisrequired/

Visa for Courses of Longer Duration

If you want to study a course that is more than 3 months long you will need a student visa/permit. To get a student permit you need to have an offer of place from the university you have enrolled in.
For More info click: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/canistudyinnewzealand/whatisrequired/